Running Start Program

Program Overview:

Students in grades 11-12 have the opportunity to earn college credits during high school through Running Start at Walla Walla Community College. All interested upcoming junior students and any upcoming seniors who have not yet had a Running Start class, and their parents/guardians must attend the Running Start Orientation Meeting at Walla Walla Community College in the spring.

Running Start is a program created by the Washington State legislature, that provides an opportunity for juniors and seniors in public high schools to enroll in courses at Walla Walla Community College.

This program provides academically qualified students an opportunity to attend col­lege courses and earn college credits, tuition-free, while completing high school graduation requirements. Students receive both high school and college credit for completed classes.

The high school determines the number of credits it will assign for the college courses. Graduation requirements are established by each high school. Students must consult with their high school counselors to ensure that selected courses will transfer back to their high school.
Credits earned from Walla Walla Community College are transferable to all other Washington public colleges and .universities according to the guidelines of the receiving school. Transfer to state private colleges and out-of-state colleges cannot be guaranteed. Students are encouraged to contact those colleges for their individual transfer policies as they relate to Running Start.


Free Tuition Students can earn up to two years of tuition-free college credit while finishing high school. The high school pays the tuition. A· maximum of 15 credits are funded per quarter.
Advanced Coursework Students have the opportunity to take advanced courses and a greater variety of courses than those available at their local high schools.
Experience College While in High School This experience can be helpful in making the transition to college life and in making future educational plans.
Adult Educational Setting Students who find the traditional high school does not fit their needs may flourish in a different educational setting.


Students are eligible for Running Start at WWCC if they meet the following criteria:

  • Student is under age 21 at the beginning of the school year.
  • Student is a junior or a senior by the first quarter of Running Start (grade status is determined by the high school).

Student is allowed by law to enroll in the district where he or she is seeking Running Start high school credit. Private school and home-schooled students must first register in the public school district where they reside. The student, however, does not need to attend the public high school.

Eligibility I: You are eligible to enroll in academic courses when you place into college level reading AND either English 101 OR Math 107 and above on the Compass Place­ment Test.

Eligibility II: You are eligible to enroll' in some academic courses depending on your Compass Placement Test scores and upon completion of an interview with a Running Start advisor.

To enroll in professional-technical programs, you must meet the minimum placement requirements specific to the program and/or class. Entry into some programs also re­quires an interview with the program instructor. NOTE: Most professional/technical programs require full-day instruction and high school, graduation requirements must still be met.
Low Income Eligibility:

Documentation is only required once per academic school year. Documentation is due prior to the first day of the quarter the student will attend. Acceptable documentation of low-income status may include:

  • Verification of current free or reduced lunch eligibility from the School District.
  • Proof that the student has been deemed eligible for free or reduced-price lunches in the last five years.

Proof that you are receiving any state or federal assistance funds. ), Evidence that the student is a foster youth.

2016-2017 Running Start Info

Students MUST take the COMPASS placement test in order to qualify for Running Start. We recommend students complete COMPASS testing by the end of this school year.

You must do the following to participate in Running Start:

  • You must get a Student ID (SID) Number in order to take the COMPASS test. Go to and apply for admission to Walla Walla Community College - you must do this at least 24-48 hours prior to taking the COMPASS test. This must be done to get a Student ID (SID) Number from Walla Walla Community College. [If you've had a CTE course at CHS, you should already have an SID number on file with Walla Walla Community College - call Walla Walla Community College (509-758-3339) to get it];
  • The COMPASS test can be taken on Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 1:00 pm and 5:15 pm, or Thursdays at 1:00 pm. Call Walla Walla Community College at 509-758-3339 prior to testing to let them know that you will be taking the COMPASS test;
  • Bring a copy of your COMPASS test scores to your guidance counselor to determine if you are eligible for Running Start. If eligible, the counselor will then complete the Running Start Enrollment Verification Form;
  • The student, counselor and parent/guardian must sign the Running Start Enrollment Verification Form;
  • Return the Running Start Enrollment Verification Form to Walla Walla Community College;
  • Students must check in with their CHS guidance counselor prior to starting each Running Start quarter, this is the final step to ensure that the student is set and ready to begin their Running Start quarter with Walla Walla Community College;
  • Any change to a student's Running Start schedule needs to go through the student's CHS guidance counselor- this includes adding/dropping/revising any Running Start classes.
Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2021 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.